Sales Tactics of Estate Agents & Builders in Hull
No matter whether you are a prospecting First Time Buyer in Hull actively looking for your first home or a Home Mover with your house on the property market, it will likely have become apparent that some of the larger estate agents and builders would much rather use their in-house mortgage advisor and conveyancing services.
As a stand-alone mortgage broker in Hull, free of any ties to banks, building societies and estate agents, we receive lots of feedback as to what sales tactics can be used, examples of this include;
- Refusing to put your offer forward to the vendor if you opted to use a different mortgage broker or have another offer that is more favourable as the mortgage is sorted. Please note these situations are illegal.
- Quoting immensely overpriced conveyancing fees. In the past we have had clients who have encountered this. One was quoted more than £1,500 for a simple purchase with an estate agent. With our help and using another conveyancer in the nearby area, we were able to get this down to £750. That’s exactly half of the quoted price.
- Within minutes of making your offer, the estate agent may call you asking the actual name of the individual you’ve been dealing with for conveyancing! Whilst doing this they will also be pushing their extortionately overpriced quotations, and refusing to take the property off the market without you using their services. Don’t worry, we can help you be prepared for this happening.
Don’t be fooled
Popular estate agent & builder sales quotes include:
- “Keeping everything under one roof is easier with one point of contact”
- “If you use our services it will give the vendor peace of mind that everything will go through smoothly”
- “Everything is likely to go through quicker if you use us”
- “We’ll give you a free carpet/washing machine if you use our (extortionately priced) recommended conveyancing service”
- “We will do all of the chasing of the solicitors for you and they’ll be more responsive to us due to the amount of work we send them”
- “You need to come in and see our mortgage advisor for your offer to be qualified”
- “Your offer is more likely to be accepted if you use our mortgage advisor”
- “We get better deals than most brokers”
Please remember, when negotiating a purchase price… Is it really within your best interests for the seller of your property having access to your personal financial situation and potentially know how much you’re able to borrow?
Fast & Friendly Mortgage Advice in Hull